27 December, 2007

The Golden Compass

I have to admit that my interest in this movie was piqued due to all the supposed religious controversy surrounding the movie. However, after seeing The Golden Compass, it became clear to me that all the controversy in the world wouldn't be enough to save this sorry mess. The story was muddled, plodding, and nonsensical. Even the controversy was completely overblown. Sure, the ruling group in the film (the Magisterium) uses the term "heresy", but that's about the extent of the commonality with religion that I was able to pick out. (And seriously, how often do churches use the term "heresy" anymore?) To be honest, I question whether all the controversy was drummed up on purpose to try to generate interest in an ultimately disappointing and poorly produced movie.

Apparently, lots of churches in the United States have been sending out letters to their congregations urging them to boycott this movie. I think it would have been much more effective to do nothing, because then the movie would be judged on its own (rather lacking) merits, rather than some over-hyped, virtually non-existent "controversial religious themes".

My rating: Slaughtered. Trust me - The Lord of the Rings slaughters this movie.

Comments:
What do you know, a sweet new review on armr that I found by accidentally clicking on the wrong link on my toolbar.

I heard the movie was of poor quality. As far as the controversy, I haven't read the books so I don't know the author's exact intent. However, in my view, religions are just one of many authoritarian institutions that children should at least be taught to look at critically.
 
I agree. I find it humorous how quickly many religious people get up in arms at the merest hint of somebody disagreeing with them.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?